Tuesday 3 May 2016

Sorry about the weird post day. NO WIFI,

I have to go into town to post stuff so I do a little of Blogging on Word



April 28, 2016

Today there was a celebration happening in Ireland, it is the 1916 independence of Ireland. We had been told by are secret agents that a parade and other things was going to happen in Doneraile. So my mom and me walked there. We just arrived at the end of the parade, and there was a ceremony.

We met this guy who had been born in the gate house at Castle Creagh (the place we are wwoofing). We asked him where we could find tickets for a concert that was happening that evening. He told us to go to the gas station, so I went, and nope they had none.

So then he said, “tell them that John Hickie said to let you in,” so when the time came around we said that, and sure enough we were let in. But let’s back up for a little bit to the time in between the talk to John and the concert. For the hour and a half we went to the pub. I got red lemonade, and my mom got a Murphy’s. Because I was hungry I went to the local fast food place. It took them about a half hour for them to get my food done, because they were so busy. It was really infuriating, because you can order on-line, so people would walk in and out in about a minute while I waited.

Back to the concert, it started out with every body singing the national anthem in Gaelic. (Please excuse me if I get any facts wrong.) Then a man read out the Constitution act of 1916. After that a man sang some songs. It was really good, because he would explain what the history of the song is. Then a woman showed us a video of what happened in 1916. Pretty much the Irish went to the English and said “we want to rule our own country” so the Brits blew the living day light out of them. First a group got together but when the war came 170 000 out of 180 000 left to fight in a war that they thought would last only a couple months. But before this a group of 300 holed up in building, so the Brits mortared that then burnt Cork, nice huh.

The video told us more then a man gave a presentation. He repeated a little bit of what the movie said, but he also told us a lot of new stuff. Then there was another presentation. Not quite as good but still informative. After that the man who sang songs handed out a sheet of paper so we could sing along. Afterwards we started the half hour walk back to Castle Creagh. I was putting my thumb out, but I was not too optimistic because it was about ten so it did not seem too likely of us getting a lift.

But after 5 minutes a guy stopped for us, so we jumped in, and through absent chatter we found out that John Hickie was the owner of the building that the concert we went to. Also the man who picked us up, was the brother of John Hickie. He had also been born in the gate house at Creagh Castle.

So that was my day everybody, Thank you and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment